Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Time to unpack!! No, I haven't been on vacation, but will probably want to go after we begin unpacking the Common Core State Standards.  Seems tedious, but with the help of my fellow teachers there are a ton of resources out there to help us out.  I have wondered though, if this is the "Common Core"  and unpacking consist of stating the objectives with "I can..",  statements based on what we believe the standards are describing, shouldn't these "I can.." statements be consistent across the states?  I have read several "I can" statements from different teachers and different states.  They all seem to differ in one way or another.  Although these statements will be based on the same concept, it does make me wonder how many different ways these standards can be taught.  Will I teach them "rigorously" enough?  One of my wonderful teacher friends found a great little flipbook by McGraw-Hill.  The Common Core-Clarifying expectations for teachers and Students in Mathematics. 



Though I have shown the picture for the Math flipbook, it will not be available to order until June 22nd.  ELA is already available.  It looked like a wonderful tool to use while unpacking and stating these "I can" statements that we will use.  I will definitely buy a 4th grade math book when it becomes available.  It will definitely be a useful tool as we begin to dive into this new curriculum.

An inside look at McGraw-Hills The Common Core:  Mathematics

What have you or your school used to help you unpack?  Let me know!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment