Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Great Lesson Plans from the NSA?  Who knew?
I am always looking for knew ways to present skills and concepts.  So a few years ago I was searching for a new and interesting way to teach measurement. To my surprise I came across the NSA website (National Security Agency) . Who would have thought to look here for a lesson plan?  (Or maybe I am the only one.) What a great unit I found on measurment.  It really incorporated so many things into the unit and IT WAS FREE!!  I would have never gone to this website to search for a math lesson plan, but what a great job the author of this measurement unit did.  There are great manipulative activities that go with the unit.  I did find a few things that once you printed out the activities the measurement that the teacher key had was a little different than the actual measurement.  I went back and measured the items myself and wrote the correct measurement based on what my students would measure.  The unit I used was actually found under the Geometry strand and it was called:  "Measurement:  Using a Ruler to Measure Sea Creatures to the nearest Eighth Inch".  My students really enjoyed the unit which made it that much better.  I will definitely check this site out in the future for more interesting units.

0 comments:

Post a Comment